November 3rd, 2006
I just don’t know. I hope you have been keeping well!
I have been holding things together here at home with the family, working most waking hours on Professional Work, regretting the loss of our daycare, and falling into bed exhausted most nights.
Getting a toddler into bed is like putting a motorcycle away with the throttle stuck open. It can be done, but it sure exhausts your reserves of willpower.
• Before the pandemic, I was invited up to Sideshow Collectibles to participate in their YouTube show “Strike a Pose.”
• My dear sweet 18-year-old Feral Cat (not really feral) has been at the vet for the past few days.
— David Malki ! (@malki) April 24, 2020
If you’re into cute little puzzles, this would be a great time to pick up one of the last few Feral Cat double-sided puzzles for just $6 (or any of my other puzzles for $12)!
• I lost the Eisner Award. (As in, I didn’t win — not that I physically misplaced it.)
That’s okay! Phil LaMarr said my name, which was pretty cool.
• My new favorite shirt is the ink swatch sample shirt from the shirt printer. A lot of people seemed to think it was as weird and charming as I do:
Lot of nice comments on my shirt today! It’s the ink swatch sample shirt from the shirt printer pic.twitter.com/E2La6waaua
— David Malki ! (@malki) July 17, 2020
So, sure — I’ll print one for you too, if you like!
(Note that instead of the words “Men’s” and “Women’s” for shirt sizing, I’ve started using “Straight fit” and “Curvy fit.” In case you aren’t familiar with those terms!)
• This short film:
CAVEMASTER | adult swim smalls
Is now not a good time for you, Cavemaster?
Created by Graham Mason
Starring Nicole Boettcher pic.twitter.com/MrzaOMxEdR
— adultswim (@adultswim) August 11, 2020
• This article about how LEGO bricks can embody principles of interface design:
LEGO interface panels are beautiful, iconic, and great for learning interface design basics.
I bought 52 of them from BrickLink and had a lot of fun last week analysing the design of them all. Here's what I learned: https://t.co/MryEwjSq1f
— George Cave (@George_Cave) August 3, 2020
"In the beginning, we were very careful about facts. And then several years later, we were writing about space aliens, Bigfoot, and Bat Boy." https://t.co/h82wDBJivO
— Lilit Marcus (@lilitmarcus) August 9, 2020
• This touching but very funny story about Carl Reiner:
I have a Carl Reiner story that I hold very dear to me. I figured I'd share it today, on the day of his passing, because I hope it will bring some other people some joy the way it does me.
— Matthew Rosenberg (@AshcanPress) June 30, 2020
A real weird year for it, but heck, what an honor!
My latest Wondermark collection, Friends You Can Ride On, has been nominated for an Eisner Award this year in the category Best Humorous Publication.
(This is my second nomination in this category.)
If you’re a comics professional (artist, writer, inker, colorist, letterer); a webcomic creator; a publisher or editor; or you own or manage a comic shop, you are eligible to vote for the winner!
So, this week only, you can download a PDF of the nominated book for free with discount code EISNER.
Read it, enjoy it, and if you’re so eligible and so inclined, please consider casting a vote at eisnervote.com.
The voting period is very short this year – voting closes at midnight Pacific time, June 18.
So if you are eligible to vote, please don’t delay!
BIG NEWS: I have extended the FREE SHIPPING SALE for the new Wondermark book by one additional day!
So you now have about 48 hours left to get your copy (if you haven’t already).
Some additional details about this book and this promotion:
• The book contains roughly Wondermark comics #567 through #1007, with a few additions from outside that range. In other words, it’s all the comics published from mid-November 2009 through mid-March 2014. And let me tell you, they all still hit like they are new. (Allegedly.)
• US and Canada orders are shipped by me personally, and I’m getting batches out about once a week. If you need a copy via faster means than “when I get to it”, you can also choose Expedited Shipping at checkout for a slight upcharge, and that’ll put you at the top of the queue AND I’ll use a faster shipping service..
• All other orders will be shipped from the warehouse in China. I will transmit all those orders in one batch at the end of the sale, and you will get a tracking number once your package ships! Transit time is estimated to be about 3-5 weeks to Europe and Australia, and 1-2 weeks to locations in Asia.
• There’s a clever spot gloss effect on the cover that isn’t visible in photos. It really has to be seen in person.
• I’m very glad to put this book into your hands, and I’m thrilled that folks seem to be liking it so far! If you’ve already read your copy, you can feel free to add your comments to Goodreads. (If you are a Goodreads Librarian, perhaps you can also assist me with updating the main book photo?)
• I’ve been talking about this book a lot lately because I’m real proud of it, folks. I don’t think I’ll be able to assemble another collection for quite some time. So this is a good one to get!
The free shipping sale goes through May 28 and then…ENDS FOREVER